Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Driving Britney Spears And Russell Brand At The VMAs

I’d been driving executives around the Paramount lot in a little golf cart all week — so much so that it became some sort of joke that I was the “Official VMA Chauffeur” (which, given that my father’s been driving limousines for more than 20 years, only stands to reason).

During the show, I was in the right place at the right time: in control room with my boss, VMAs executive producer Dave Sirulnick. The plan was to shuttle the Video of the Year award winner away from the stage in a cart after the finale, but just before the winner was announced, someone said: “There’s no one to drive the cart!”

Dave scanned the room, pointed to me and said, “Ashley, you’re driving the cart!”

Van Toffler, president of MTV Networks, joked, “You’ve been preparing for this all week!”

We were parked just offstage, waiting for whoever was going to win. Then I heard the stage manager say, “When Britney gets in …” and my legs started shaking.

It was my big moment!

Now, I don’t get starstruck. I drove Kanye West and about five members of his entourage (the cart only holds four passengers) to his Saturday rehearsal, no sweat. But Brit is a very special case!

I’ve been a HUGE fan of her since “Hit Me Baby (One More Time)” (I was 14 years old.) And her 2000 VMA striptease performance made me idolize her! Since then, I’ve stuck with her through everything.

Britney rushed offstage, clutching her Moonman, and sat down in the back with Russell Brand. Flashbulbs were exploding around us. Everyone was staring. And I had to drive this thing in stilettos!

Britney looked beautiful and healthy, like she’s really coming into her own again.

I was so focused on not crashing, all I remember is her joking with Russell and saying, “Where are you taking me?” I am so happy to have been so close to her on such a big night!

Source: MTV Newsroom

No comments:

 

Blog designed by Zaid